The Village Cemetery was located on this site from 1828 to 1926. When the cemetery fell into disrepair, many headstones were vandalized. As a result, this ten foot monument and park was created in 1926. The monument lists the names of villagers, citizens, and veterans who were originally buried in the cemetery. The names are listed alphabetically; there are no military designations or dates of death. Many of the names are members of old South Orange families.