South Orange Post Office

From South Orange Public Library Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Previous     Next
South Orange Historic Walking Tour
SO PostOffice.jpg
In 1937 the current South Orange Post Office opened its doors to the public. It was constructed during the 1933-1940 term of Postmaster Farley. In 1939, the U.S. Department of the Treasury held a competition to commission painted murals for decoration inside post offices. The first prize winning artist got to paint a scene in the Bronx post office. The second prize winner was assigned to the South Orange post office. Bernard Perlin (who was then 21 years old) won the $2,000 commission to paint the mural of this choice. He spent nine months on the painting, which shows recreational pursuits popular in South Orange at the time.