Village Hall

From South Orange Public Library Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Previous     Next
South Orange Historic Walking Tour
Village Hall.jpg
South Orange built Village Hall to accommodate more than offices - it was home for the Police and Fire Departments. The Fire Department used the tower to hang their long fire hoses out to dry. Atop the tower was a bell used to notify residents of local emergencies. Designed by architects Rossiter & Wright of New York City, Village Hall is a half timber construction reminiscent of European architecture from the Elizabethan period. Construction of the building was completed circa 1895. In 1975 it was listed on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and received national landmark status in 1976. Legend has it that the clock on Village hall was the inspiration for Edward Stratemeyer's Nancy Drew Mystery, The Secret of the Old Clock (1930).

Additional Information: Village Hall History